About the Workers' Compensation Section
The purpose of the Workers' Compensation Section of the State Bar of California is to serve our members, workers' compensation practitioners, and the people of California by promoting an efficient and just compensation delivery system. The section, through standing committees, seeks to promote better legal practice, education and legislation affecting workers' compensation. We review proposed state legislation and regulatory rules, and make recommendations to the authors. Our goal is to achieve the following constitutional mandate:
CONSTITUTIONAL BASIS OF LAWS
The Workers' Compensations Act, codified in the Labor Code, with other related laws, has its jurisdictional basis in the California Constitution, Article XIV, sec. 4, which provides in part as follows:
The Legislature is hereby expressly vested with plenary power, unlimited by any provision of this Constitution, to create, and enforce a complete system of workers' compensation...to compensate...workers for injury or disability, and...for death...irrespective of the fault of any party...to the end that the administration of such legislation shall accomplish substantial justice in all cases expeditiously, inexpensively, and without encumbrance of any character...
- Free subscription to the Workers' Compensation Quarterly newsletter.
- Discounts on all Workers' Compensation Section programs and publications
- Opportunity to participate in Section and Committee activities
- Opportunity to meet members of the Workers' Compensation Section
MCLE MAJOR EVENTS AND PROGRAMS
In addition to "stand alone" such as the recent Workers' Compensation Spring Programs of our section, we participate in the major state bar events:
- Annual Meeting of The State Bar
- The Section offers ongoing opportunities for participatory and self-study continuing legal education, both online and through audiotapes. For more information, see Education.
TO JOIN --See Join the Section.
Workers' Compensation Section
The State Bar of California
180 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105-1639